Tuesday, April 28, 2026

Changing My Investing Strategy: Still Growth-Oriented, But Less Concentrated


Previously, I was comfortable taking bigger risks. I focused mainly on growth, individual stocks, and trying to build wealth faster. That approach made sense at the time because I had a long time horizon, fewer responsibilities, and more room to recover from mistakes.

Now, I want my investing strategy to become more balanced.

I still want to grow my wealth over the long term. I am not becoming overly conservative. I still believe that stocks are one of the best ways to build wealth over 10, 20, or 30 years.

However, I also want to reduce unnecessary risk.

My new investing goal is simple:

Stay growth-oriented, reduce concentration risk, and keep enough cash to buy during market stress.

What I Am Focusing On Going Forward

Going forward, I want to focus on a few key areas.

First, I want to increase diversification. This means having more exposure to broad market funds and not depending too much on individual stock picks.

Second, I want to review my portfolio regularly. I do not need to react to every piece of news, but I should know whether the businesses I own are improving, unchanged, or weakening.

Third, I want to keep a clear cash strategy. Cash should not sit around without purpose, but it should be available when the market gives better opportunities.

Fourth, I want to avoid buying because of emotions. FOMO, hype, and short-term price movements should not control my decisions.

BucketTargetRole
Global core equity ETFs / diversified portfolios55%–65%     Main wealth compounder
US stocks / US ETF exposure20%–30%     Quality growth, but avoid       overconcentration
Singapore stocks / REITs / banks10%–15%     SGD income and local stability
China/HK exposure3%–7%     Opportunistic, higher-risk satellite
Individual stock picks / thematic tech10%–20% max      Higher-conviction satellite
Cash / SSB / T-bills / money market10%–15%      Emergency fund + buying ammo

How much to invest per month

Example: 5.2K
  • 70% ETFs (calm, stable base). 3.6K
  • 20% SG income (stability) 1.1K
  • 10% stocks (conviction + upside) $500

1. CORE ENGINES (These drive most of your returns)

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF
iShares Core MSCI World ETF
What it is: Global market exposure
Role: Foundation of your portfolio
Thesis:  Strong / Stable

Verdict:
These are doing the heavy lifting
You don’t need to outsmart this

Action: BUY & HOLD (Core allocation)
Endowus Flagship / Equity / Tech
What it is: Managed diversified funds
Role: Core + slightly overlapping with ETFs
Thesis: Stable

Issue:
Overlap with VTI/IWDA
Slight inefficiency, but not dangerous
 Action: HOLD (no need to add aggressively)

2. HIGH-CONVICTION WINNERS (Keep but control size)
Microsoft Corporation
Thesis: Improving (AI + cloud dominance)
 HOLD / selective buy
Alphabet Inc.
Thesis: Slight uncertainty (AI disruption vs strength)
 HOLD
Meta Platforms
Thesis: Strong recovery + ad engine
 HOLD
Apple Inc.
Thesis: Stable but slower growth
 HOLD (don’t over-add)
Amazon.com, Inc.
Thesis: Improving (AWS + efficiency)
 HOLD
Tesla Inc.
Thesis: Volatile / uncertain
 HOLD (speculative bucket)
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Thesis: Strong banking franchise
 HOLD
Salesforce, Inc.
Thesis: Improving but less dominant
 HOLD / low priority
Interactive Brokers Group
Thesis: Strong structural growth
 HOLD

 3. SINGAPORE CORE (Very Important for You)
DBS Group Holdings
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation
United Overseas Bank
Role: Income + stability
Thesis: Stable / cyclical

 Action: HOLD / BUY ON WEAKNESS

Mapletree REITs (M Log, M Ind)
Thesis: Weak to stable (interest rate pressure)
HOLD (don’t aggressively add)

4. CHINA / HK EXPOSURE (Messy Layer)
ETFs:
KraneShares CSI China Internet ETF
Global X MSCI China Consumer Discretionary ETF
Invesco China Technology ETF
iShares MSCI China ETF
Xtrackers Harvest CSI 300 China A-Shares ETF

Stocks:
Tencent Holdings
Alibaba Group
JD.com
Meituan
What’s happening:
Overlapping exposure
Same theme repeated multiple times
Thesis:
Uncertain (macro + policy risk)

 Action:
Stop adding
 Gradually simplify
Keep only strongest names (Tencent / Alibaba if you want exposure)

 5. SMALL POSITIONS (Low Value, High Noise)
Examples:
CROX, EL, YUMC
GXC, CHIQ small sizes
Riverstone, YZJ
Random small entries
Reality:
These do NOT move your portfolio
But they consume attention
 Action:
Ignore or slowly clean up
Don’t add more

 6. EMERGING MARKETS
iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
Role: Diversification
Thesis: Neutral
 HOLD (optional)

FINAL PORTFOLIO DIAGNOSIS
Strengths
Strong core (VTI, IWDA)
Excellent winners (MSFT, GOOGL)
Solid SG income base

Weaknesses
Too many positions
China overexposure (fragmented)
Mental overload

WHAT ACTUALLY DRIVES THE RETURNS
80% of your results come from:
VTI / IWDA
MSFT / GOOGL / META
SG banks
Everything else:
 Noise

FINAL ACTION SUMMARY

DO
Keep core ETFs
Keep top tech names
Keep SG banks

STOP
Adding new random stocks
Expanding China exposure

SIMPLIFY (Over Time)
Reduce overlap
Trim small positions

MONTHLY ACTION
(A) Core (60–70%)
VTI / IWDA / Endowus
 This does most of the work

(B) Stable Income (20–30%)
OCBC, UOB, DBS
REITs

(C) Optional (0–10%)
MSFT, GOOGL, META
Limit to a few high-conviction names.                                                                                            


What to ACTUALLY Do
Monthly
Invest into core
Ignore everything else

Quarterly
Ask “Do I still want to keep this position?”
Simplify slowly

Opportunity Fund $25K

Market drop:

🔻 -20%

  • Do nothing (monthly investing already handles it)

🔻 -30%

  • Deploy ~25% of opportunity fund

🔻 -40%

  • Deploy another ~35%

🔻 -50%+

  • Deploy the rest aggressively
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF (IWDA): Full Investment Framework, Valuation & Long-Term Buy Strategy

1. What Is IWDA? IWDA is the iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF. It tracks the: MSCI World Index This ETF gives investors exposure to large a...